Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Actually

Ok, 800 watts per mono (I was thinking for the pair somehow) would get to Class A 200 watts I guess (about 25% efficiency). Consumption from the wall is what matters with regard to heating a room. If only 25% is being transformed to music signal at MAXIMUM then with normal listening nearly all is waste heat. Let's say 5 watts on average then 5/800 = 0.6% music and 99.4% heat or 795 x 2 = 1590 watts of heat. At full power it would be 1600-400 = 1200 watts of heat.

Most of the time your MB450s are MUCH lower consumption because they are largely Class B. What is the idle consumption? Probably a 100 watts or maybe 200 watts at idle. Also at Max power the amp is what? around 450watts in tetrode? 425/1000 = 43% music power and 570 watts of heat = 1140 watts max. At idle they are 300 watts. Let's say then that 5 watts is still more or less Class A operation (I will assume that the consumption doesn't go higher for a 5 watt output) then 5/300 = 1.7% signal and 98.3% heat or 295 watts x2 = 590 watts as compared to 1590 watts...big difference. My new Wall Audio monos consume about the same at idle (500 watts) as your big monos (600 watts) for 1/10th the max output power (35 watts vs. 425 watts).

The mighty Siegfried is closer at 600watts idle per mono. Since most listening is done closer to idle than full power then we have to say that the Rite of Passage will generate more heat than even the Siegfried. The Siegfried seems to be biased deeper in Class A than the MB450 though (300 watts idle for 8 output tubes vs. 600 watts idle for 12 output tubes). With the same bias the Siegfried should have a 450 watt idle. Interesting.

According to Stereophile the mighty Wotan was 650W at idle, so far less Class A bias than either of the two amps above and still less heat output most of the time than the Rite of Passage monos.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Actually - morricab 05:29:43 07/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.