Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Leben

Thanks. I see their importer will not pick up the phone, email only. And the manufacturers webpage says they will not sell parts or service to anyone not the original owner.

Actually, it says this:

If "Leben" product is: (1)Directly imported by you from another country, (2)Purchased directly from a dealer OVERSEAS, (3)Acquired by you from an UNAUTHORIZED DEALER, (4)Considered gray market product and no Warranty Card accompanied, All Product Warranties by Leben are NULL and VOID. In addition, Leben will not supply parts and/or service for any "Leben" product without proof of purchase from a Leben Authorized Dealer.

My interpretation of that is that they won't service a gray market unit. It doesn't say anything about the original owner. So if you are buying used, you had better get a copy of the sales receipt from the original owner.

Also, if you want the importer's phone number (Tone Imports), it's on the Contact page of the Leben site.

I have heard of other audio manufacturers/importers taking the same position. Sonus Faber, for example. See Sumiko's policy here: http://www.audiogon.com/samp/sumiko/

The policy seems a bit drastic and I hope they don't go around denying service to people without a sales receipt, since they ought to be able to figure out where a product was sold based on the serial number. I also think that the gray market shouldn't be a significant problem as long as the products maintain relative price parity from one market to the next. I don't know much about Leben pricing, but Accuphase sells for ~1/2 price in Japan compared in Europe and North America, and hence there is a strong gray market. Same for Luxman I think.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.