Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: If user feedback, and my own experience, is anything to go by - 6C33C designs are less about....

Well, I took some time to listen to one of my better recorded Jazz records (Korean singer, album called Lento on ACT label) and the transparency through the upper mids of the new amps is stunning. Very pure sounding with just a light dusting of sweetness. Not quite a projected as the JJ 322 but still very palpable and alive there. The upper highs are slightly subdued but interestingly it is not a dark sound like one would usually get with dynamically constricted highs. This suggests that there is not the constriction just a generally lower level of output. So far I am liking quite a bit what I hear and it is clearly perfect for long listening sessions...it makes you want to dig out more music rather than turn them off. The JJ is more "lit up" but I think that is what really well designed 300B amps do best. Bass texture is perhaps still slightly better with the JJ but the power in the bass is clearly in the court of the new amp (it is a german brand Wall Audio and the model is the Opus M50). Not that the JJ felt lightweight but it doesn't have the Gravitas. It could be also due to transformer types. The JJ is using very thin laminate double "C" cores with grain oriented steel, which the M50s use EI types with very thin laminates of Ni and Co alloy. Some of the fullness from the new amps could be some onset of core saturation giving a bit of harmonic "fullness". The JJs OPTs are so oversized and of the core type that saturation is unlikely and you really hear nice bass texture.

I think despite the projection of the 300B the tonal color of the Opus M50 is more right through the mids and it is utterly grainless for both amps. Short of spending Kondo money I don't think I can do a whole lot better (preamp evalautions are still ongoing).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.