Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: No contradiction or deception here

"And that proves what? Simply because an amplifier is old confers no particular quality to its sound"

You made it clear you had a beef with the reliability and longetivity of the amps not with the sound quality of your BAT VK60.

No doubt there are many poor tube amps. But nearly all SS amps are shitty.

" The technology has advanced; tube designs mostly have not,"ยจ

This is a complete fallacy and completely ignores the benefits of advancement in materials technology as applied to modern tube amps. Not to mention the development of completely new tubes in the last 15 years (KR Audio, Emission labs etc.). Let's not forget that there is nothing really new in SS amp design probably since the 1970s. Just better application of similar designs.

"Do you also believe that old paper cone tweeters are superior to decent modern designs? "

No, I believe ribbon, electrostatic, plasma ion and horn loaded tweeters with modern diaphrams sound the best. My current speakers have a 1 inch titanium dome loaded into a 10 inch diameter solid wood horn...sounds great. My other speakers have Be dome tweeters. In the past i have had ribbon and electorstatic speakers and I have heard a length both Acapella and Lansche speakers with ion tweeters.

Some are still original but probably recapped (a failing with all amps). So what if tubes wear out? They are designed to be easily replaced. When a transistor fails, good luck because it will probably take half the amp with it in a firey show. People will just throw most of those away because it is too expensive to repair.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: No contradiction or deception here - morricab 02:40:37 07/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.