Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

No contradiction or deception here

I agree that tubes sound very nice when they are operating perfectly, which is rare. Of course a SS amp can fail, but usually they don't just sputter and flame and pop and hiss and smoke all on their own. Most SS failures are induced by careless owners or simple age (typically, PS) after many years of reliable service. Just from my own experience and reading numerous posts here, I know there are likely to be many more failed tube amps.

I would never consider Class A amps because of all the power they waste, and they're usually operating within a hair's breadth of failure. Not sure they really sound that much better. My amps now are efficient (left on 24/7, hardly ever get more than warm even when cranked), and they play music as clearly, that is, with more inner detail and space (not falsely exaggerated highs) and realistic tonality as my tube amps did. That's what I mean by distortion. I doubt that any tube amp can possibly operate with the same low level of measured distortion and noise, and the sound, on which I place more importance, is not any better. No security blanket required.

I believe many tube amp owners are better at self-deception. My amps will always sound this good. Your claim that SS parts wear out is BS. Other than power supply caps, there are no parts that will change over time in an audible way. Not so with tubes, and you know it, even if you won't admit it. All that fiddling and fussing, and what do you get? Great sound for a while, plenty of heat (wasted energy), then slow degradation, fear of fuses blowing, tubes arcing, bias changing.

Again, enjoy your tube amps. I understand the fascination with brightly glowing things, and the sound can be seductive while it lasts. Please stop claiming that they are superior in every way to every SS amp.

Tom E
berate is 8 and benign is 9

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.