Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Silvaweld SWC450 vs. Audion Silver Night Premier 1.0

I did do some tube rolling for the Audion.

I replaced the stock (I don't know really what they were) with NOS Tesla Gold pins ECC88s and also with some NOS Russian 6N23Ps. Resolution improved a bit but the overall thinness of the sound did not. In the end it simply is not as interesting to listen to and that tells me information is missing or deemphasized (if you listen harder then you hear everything...but with the Silvaweld it is effortless more like at a live concert).

The Silvaweld already has very good NOS black plate 6072s (they say National but look identical inside to my GE Black plates that I have in my Silvaweld phonostage).

This to me wasn't a costly deadend trial...I could have used all the money spent on these three to get something more expensive but I wanted to see if I could get real magic for a fraction of the price. In the end I found that the Silvaweld delivers and the others to a lesser degree.

However, I still suspect the weak link in the PureSound is the output transformers. So, I may keep it and spend a few hundred bucks to get some really nice double C core preamp output trannies. That might elevate it to super status. If you are going to use transformers then they have to be really really good and I suspect that these are merely good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Silvaweld SWC450 vs. Audion Silver Night Premier 1.0 - morricab 08:25:29 07/16/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.