Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: hearing loss (long and probably boring)

M3 Lover has nailed it.

I studied all this stuff back in the day (and am still learning!). Hearing system, psychoacoustics, acoustics, recording techniques, stereo systems,... (but don't ask me to design an amplifier!)

You really should start looking into various hearing aids and their pros and cons. I can't imagine what it's like for you to listen to people in a restaurant, where good binaural hearing is essential. There are hearing aids which are nearly unnoticeable - a thin wire and a tiny module. Heck, my brother-in-law has one, and I didn't even notice it for almost two days, until we were sitting for a while talking, and I happened to see the wire.

Given your interest in listening to music, one of your top priorities will be sound quality. And since you've been avoiding it, another priority will be size/visibility.

Here's a brief summary of some things for you to know:

Both ears hear both speakers. So, correcting the system for one bad ear will sound odd/unpleasant/strange/incorrect in the good ear - sort of the reverse of what you have now.

There is a phenomenon known as the "head related transfer function" (HRTF). This refers to how a sound's frequency balance is modified as sound diffracts around the head. It varies with sound source angle and is somewhat different for different people based on their head geometry. It provides information to the brain regarding the direction of a sound source because of the difference in sound characteristics between one ear and the other.

The ear pinna (the cute thing on the side of your head) further modifies what is sent to the middle ear, AND, the ear canal further modifies the sound because it acts as a resonant tube.

Soooo, if you use a balance control and/or tone controls to compensate for the bad ear, the good ear is going to say "WTF?", as will anyone else who's listening to your system.

Check out hearing aids, and find one which does the job for you!

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.