Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: What is the best bang for your buck amplifier and its price?

This is a tough question because you have to weigh the price (not just what you pay but what you can sell it for - the NET cost) and performance.

I like those cheap Class T amps for sounding remarkably good for less than $200 (some less than $50). In direct A/B comparisons a panel of listeners (myself included) found one to beat out some $1-3k Power amps. The limiting factor being it was something like 5 or 10 watts but still.

Then there are your high quality tube amps like the Audio Space Mini-2SE and the Line Magnetic 211IA around $1600 both of which put out a lot of great sound, built well, and sound rather good indeed. Antique Sound Labs AQ 1003 DT and Jolida's 302 might also be included.

If I go further up the line to more high end pretensions - in that $1800ish to $4k range I like the Roksan Integrated amps for being surprisingly sweet sounding and having some ability to create some ambiance (which eludes most SS). Heed Audio makes some nice sound, First Watt is rather excellent albeit limited in power.

My long time favorite, the Sugden A21a, would be a consideration though I feel the Audio Note I-zero has taken it over because it sounds better and is about $1500 less money. However it has less than half the power and less features and doesn't have the seemingly robust build quality of the Sugden.

I'd have to include my Audio Note OTO - Anytime you can own a product for 12 years and be able to sell it for more than you paid for it - well that is an infinite bang to buck ration when the buck is $0. And they wonder why I am "enthusiastic" about certain items in their line-up.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is the best bang for your buck amplifier and its price? - RGA 18:51:56 06/23/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.