Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: advent

I had an Advent 300 for quite a while, it replaced a PAS3x plus the Advent had a tuner and 15 watts / channel to listen to if my Marantz 240 power amp ever had to sent off for repair. (Which it never did.) AR XA and Shure V15-III, those were the days.

Drove a pair of ADS L810's. Good sound in some ways but those speakers didn't image well.

Advent 300's are great. I had a friend that used one in his car.... they had a 12 volt option.

Some of the older NAD receivers can be pretty nice. A Monitor Series 7600 is a heck of a rig. Discrete FET phono stage, decent but not Advent 300. Something like a NAD 7250 is good too, especially if you get one that works well at a decent price. I don't like any of the current NAD receivers; their new "digital" integrated amps are pretty cool, though- NAD D3020 and NAD D7050. Get an outboard phono stage. Tons of good ones out there- I think the Parasound original Z-Phono is really good. Even the NAD phono stage is decent. Lots of people like the Bellari, though I think it is over-rated. Then there is a good tube Yaqin MS22b unit that is modestly priced, and available used And don't overlook the Hagerman Cornet.

As for tuners, is there REALLY anything worth listening to on FM? Most of what you can hear on FM can be heard over the Internet, and except for the very best analog FM stations -which are quite rare- the stream will sound better.
Science doesn't care what you believe.

Edits: 06/21/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: advent - triamp 15:54:09 06/21/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.