Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tube revolution

The first paragraph is so full of factual mistakes I didn't read the rest.

Fact on that is wrong...there is no such thing as a "highly linear" transistor. Maybe he MEANS that they they are close to theoretical transistor perfection but that is not linear by any means. As it has been noted by a number of writers on the subject, MOSFETS (theoretically) follow a quadratic function and bipolar transistors have an exponential transfer function. Both are far from linear.

Boyk and Sussmann show clearly that even with perfect transistors you will have substantial harmonic distortion even when running Class A, which Sanders clearly does not. For MOSFETS the situation of going from A to B is much worse than for bipolars, which look kind of crappy either way. MOSFETS in Class A are pretty clean...until you add feedback and then weird things happen. MOSFETS in B are ugly, with or without feedback.

Given that Sanders either doesn't really know how transistors work or is speaking marketing speak from the get go doesn't inspire educated reading.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.