Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: What are some of the better power amps in the $1500 range

The OP's question is what I was grappling with recently. I'd been using a NAD (7400 reciever/100W rms/) for amplification for 25 years and started looking around for a new/another amp. It occurred to me that if I bought a new one in the 1500 range, I might end up with about the same as I already had. so I started looking used and came across a mid '70's Accuphase P-250.

Despite the apparent risk of buying such elderly equipment, I snapped it up for about 800, and I am not sorry. Sounds way better than my NAD notwithstanding that the power rating is about the same, and the harmonic distortion specs on the NAD are better. More pleasing tone, smoother highs, punchier tighter bass on the Accuphase. Sounds more lively and musical as well. The worst thing about the NAD, compared to the Accuphase, was the comparative harshness of the NAD in the treble range. Now I can't go back.

NAD is pretty good and I think in order to get better at a reasonable price ie less than 1500 - your best bet is the older very high end stuff.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What are some of the better power amps in the $1500 range - jones.bee 13:21:34 05/24/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.