Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Based on his swapping methodology I have to agree - nt

I mentioned earlier that I changed all the 6 tubes of the preamp and the situation is the same.
The preamp is connected to both my single stereo source (Ayre C5) as well as the front L/R of my Marantz surround processor (using pass-through) and in both cases, it is the same - lower sound from left channel. So why I should I suspect the CD player as someone has suggested?
The most important observation is that when swapped the L and R inputs at the power amp, the lower sound shifted from left to right, so logically both the power amp and speakers are okay and the suspect seems to be the preamp. So even after changing all the tubes in the ARC Ref-3, if it still does not solve the problem, what else could be wrong with it? Next I am going to run the surround processor L/R directly to the power amp bypassing the line stage and hopefully that should conclusively prove that the issue is with the preamp if the left channel sound improves.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.