Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Listening to the Puresound A30...with a Puresound L10 on front!

Horns good (many of them), dynamic and planar speakers bad (most of them). :)

I have become more and more convinced that planar speakers only really work really well in smallish sized rooms that are not overly damped (particularly not behind the speaker). Otherwise, they sound overly damped and lacking in dynamics (this is what I heard at the show for basically all planars). This would also hold true for omnis.

Only two or three really good sounding dynamic speakers at the show. Perfect 8 + Ypsilon was really really good (the P8s used a ribbon tweeter). Another was Ascendo + CAT (they had a new amp and preamp) that was quite good as well. The Rockport + Absolare was also not too shabby.

All the single driver speakers (Voxactiv and some Lowther like speakers) were not so great. Voxactiv was OK with simpler music but fell apart on complex stuff. Their system with a dipole sub was probably the most convincing.

Overall though, the horns dominated the top sounding systems, IMO with Living Voice + Kondo again taking top honors. The room with an original WE theater system + Silbatone was also excellent as was a room with Avantgarde Duo Omegas + Audiopax amps. There some other pretty good ones (Blumenhofer + Einstein) as well. Tune Audio Anima should have been right at the top but the Modwright electronics were probably holding it back.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.