Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

"Tubes are better?" Philosophical ramble...

Someone has to offer the opinion that there are great tube amps and great solid state amps, and of course lesser-performing versions of each. Every amplifier imparts a sonic signature. I hold on to the hope there was some actual *listening* involved to pick good sounding versions of each, but I doubt it was of much real value.

In the 80's there was a massive swing to SS slimly (good spell-check correction for 'simply,' eh?) due to supply/demand. As the monster manufacturers like Sony and Matsushita went to 100% SS for their billions of consumer products, there was a corresponding massive availability of transistors and engineers to play with them, so 99% of new gear was SS. As the manufacturers "swung" over to SS and the advertising dollars swung, and the mags had boatloads of SS gear to review. They bought into it because they had a gun held to their heads, having to constantly advance the notion that 'newer is better.'

I voted and bought a sweeeeet piece of Nelson Pass SS stuff in that bygone epoch, a Forte preamp that sounds wonderful, amazing in fact. It has been powered on for 25+ years, silent and happy, and has never needed a new set of 6 x $20+ tubes to sound lovely. Tubes became an aficionado thing, realistically. I saw someone using cold-cathode gas filed regulator tubes! Jeez! If you've convinced yourself that you need them for good sound, good luck. Try finding replacements at the local drugstore- look deep under the tube-tester, down there past the bandaid aisle...

Of course, it's about the design that goes in rather than the broad category of devices. I bought my Forte because it sounded lovely. Not because it used transistors or tubes, or anything else. Maybe even op-amps can sound lovely, but I'm not convinced yet- gotta give 'em another decade to shake out.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.