Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: On the subject of burn in ...

First, sorry I forgot to put you in the subject line!

"In the case of my 258, that's maybe 15 minutes"
I tend to agree. I notice that the 254 tends to come on with a brightness and flat sound-stage that seems stuck to an imaginary physical line between the speakers. After 10 to 20 minutes, it is like someone dials it into focus; voices suddenly sound like they are standing (at an appropriate distance, given the source) between the speakers, with a blossoming of the room acoustic that goes beyond the speakers.

Actually, the effect into the second day was very startling. I had the lights off and had been running the rig for a few minutes while watching a TV show (gotta love DVR!). After said show, we put on some vinyl ("Free Love", by Depeche Mode from their album, Exciter). The "scare factor" was that you could hear the backing vocals not only to the left and right of the lead, but also BEHIND the lead, lending to a very scary 3-D presentation! Nice.

Like I said, it doesn't sound pretty when first powered on, but if you play some music, after a few minutes, it will show it's true colors!

I'm still evaluating it, of course. I will be the first to admit that 3 or 4 hours of use is not enough time to give a concise opinion on this amp. It has changed its character so much in just this short amount of time. Considering (as I mentioned in my earlier post) I'm pretty impressed with what it does offer for the money! Let's see where things go from here...

Cheers,
Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: On the subject of burn in ... - Dman 12:40:06 05/15/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.