Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Paging "mwhouston"! IT'S ALIVE!!!! The Class D Audio SDS-254 LIVES!!!

Finally got around to building up the SDS-254 kit the other night, and have been passively (meaning not paying much attention) letting it run over the last three evenings.

Things I have noticed with this amp- VERY solid bottom end. The kind of bottom that amps like Krell and Bryston are noted for. Midrange IS very tube-like, with that excellent 3-D, disappearing loudspeaker act going down. The top end is as you stated, with my thoughts leaning towards very tight and detailed, not edgy.

I'm not sure just how long a real burn in this thing needs, as the difference in listening over the last three nights given to different impressions each time, ranging from very bright sounding (first night) to mellow and authoritative (second night- changed from an 18awg power cord to a 14awg), to extremely quick on dynamic swings (last night). I played some treble-roasted 80's dance mix stuff (Depeche Mode, Frankie Goes to Hollywood) and wasn't killed by the top end- it was very focused and listenable while very extended. That is something that ONLY my old ARC D76a was capable of doing, lacking only in a little of the very top end extension and focus...

While there were a few stumbling blocks to the kit- there are next to NO real instructions included, which are sorely needed for some aspects of this kit.

I spoke via email to Tom at Class D Audio, and he is desperately trying to get his website updated, as well as a whole range of PDF manuals together. He's not a one man show, but at the same time, he is still a "mom and pop" operation.

I'll be posting a full review in a few weeks (maybe even a month) once I get a handle on this (and some serious listening).

Cheers,
Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Paging "mwhouston"! IT'S ALIVE!!!! The Class D Audio SDS-254 LIVES!!! - Dman 06:09:49 05/15/15 (27)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.