Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: You Could Be In For Pleasant Surprises

You know, it's funny that I can easily sit down and listen to a CD as I don't find the sonic differences all that great. My analogue end is just a lot better than my digital end.

I really like listening to LP's for the same reasons I still shoot large format film cameras and spend the nights out under the stars with my telescopes. I like the process, which is very soothing for me. Listening to a CD is like looking at a photograph of a deep sky object instead of seeing it for myself thru a telescope. The same for my photography. I can take a great picture with a digital DSLR just like I can with my 4x5 camera, but in the end, it's about the process and having a film negative or transparency instead of a bunch of zeros and ones on a hard drive. Dropping a needle onto a record and sitting back with the album cover in my hand is the process that I enjoy.

I have a lot of really good music on CD, but it seems like the only time they get play is when my wife and I are doing something else besides just listening to music and we need some background, or when company is over and I can put 5 CD's in the player and hit start.

I have good cables and they have three years on them with a few hundred hours of burn-in time, so I don't think that's part of the problem.

I've really gotten into classical and jazz music over the last 5 years just after I upgraded my analogue chain. The vast majority of music that I have bought in those genres is on vinyl which feeds my soul better.

I really don't know what the answer is, I'll just have to think about it a bit more.

Thanks for all your input.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: You Could Be In For Pleasant Surprises - Rockethead26 21:47:57 05/10/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.