Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Looking for new/used tube preamp for CD player

OK, so I've decided that I want to see what I'm missing, if anything, in my current system using a Canary Passive Pre. The system sounds great to me, but I have nothing to compare it to. My Yamaha CD player is only ordinary, so I'm looking to warm it up a bit. I would like to try a tube pre and I would like to stay close to $700-800 (new or used). This will only be used for my CD player and tuner. The other alternative is to buy a tubed CD player, but I'm not sure I can do this within my price range.

I've been looking online and haven't really found anything that fits the bill. Some are just too old and new ones seem to lack a pass thru. Also, I don't need a phono stage built in, but that wouldn't stop me if everything else was good.

I need three inputs (CD, tuner and one of them a pass thru for my phono stage) and a single output.

My turntable (modernized Sonographe SG-3 with a Sumiko Premier MMT arm) is run through an EAR 834P with a home-built CineMag SUT for LOMC carts, so I just need a pass thru (tape loop?) for this.

Any suggestions on models to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am using a B&K Reference 200.2 solid state amp.

Edits: 05/10/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Looking for new/used tube preamp for CD player - Rockethead26 08:21:27 05/10/15 (33)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.