Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

You mean John Newton?

I have met up with John several times at pro audio events in New England, but I have never visited his studio and I have no idea what he had for amps before, and I have no idea what other amps he tried in his new room.

The studio is Sound Mirror in Jamaica Plain (Boston). You could email him and ask.

Another aspect of this that I run into and think important but it seems that many pro audio people do not is, let's imagine that Studio A has Cello Performance amplifiers, and that they have been in use 50 five-day weeks a year since 1986. That's more than 25 years, and getting on toward 30!

Does it not stand to reason that things like capacitors, resistors, and diodes just possibly might have drifted away from factory spec? And then Brian Zolner does not quite waltz in with a Bricasti M28, one would have to be a weight lifter to do that. But he installs his new amps with a few dozen hours on them, and: Holy Crap!!!

Whereas perhaps if the Cello amps had been sent out for thousands of dollars of work to source and replace all known-to-fail internal components, would not there be a good chance that the reaction in this case also would be, Holy Crap!!!

Like taking a Porsche 356 and paying $100,000 to have it rebuilt better than new.

Not a whit off the Bricasti, I mean no disrespect to it or to Sound Mirror. But in nearly every studio I have ever visited, the mantra is, if it ain't broke, don't replace it. NEARLY. Some studios always have to have the latest.

jm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.