Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Bottomless debate about cables

Bottomless debate here about cables. Just like every other politicized question, there are entrenched sides with endless arguments and counter arguments, definitions and redefinitions, shifting proofs and truths, and so we throw our hands up and say: I guess we just can't know. But defaulting to agnosticism in the face of complicated evidence isn't neutral; it reaffirms of the status quo.

You can choose to believe in the cable flavor of the day, if some blogger makes you feel stupid because you are using something other than his darling, but that seem pathetic.

There has been a massive use of fine quality wire from Canare and Mogami for decades in hi-fi and professional applications. It suggests to me a sturdy fabric has been woven from zillions of cases of individual research over the decades, enough to have convinced virtually everyone under the bell-curve that these cables are good stuff. My ears tell me likewise.

Grab a soldering iron and build some cables. Save some bucks. Compare them in your own home, over some time, listening in a consistent manner to some music you really know. A number of high-dollar cables have come and gone in my house and I've chosen to wire my system mostly with DIY Mogami Neglex quad mic cable soldered to Canare F-09s. My little thread in the tapestry of experience says that anything more expensive goes past the point of diminishing returns. I did just buy a cable from Blue Jeans Cable because I needed a long, pretty, durable 75-ohm digital interconnect; it uses Canare crimp RCAs and Belden coax. Nice folks, fast too.

Look across the room at your system- are you sure that a tiny thing like the gas in the bubbles in the foam insulation of a wire will make a BIG difference? Unless your budget is unlimited, there may be better ways to spend the bucks is all I'm sayin'.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.