Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Low Power Solid State Power Amp for Avantgarde

Yamaha made several integrated in the late 1970s and early 1980s that were switchable into class A.

The preamp sections are average. The power amp section in "Normal" (class AB) are pretty yucky. The power amp sections in class A are audiophile class.

Note that the Yamaha CA-800, CA-1010 (and I think CA-1000) and the CA-2010 in class A are real class A, not some bullshit sliding or "new" class A.

We have all three. So far the CA-1010 sounds the best, but we haven't rebuilt the 2010 yet, we're just using it the way it came.

If you can live with 15 watts per channel and have a good preamp the CA-1010 in class A power amp section only is stellar.

You should also run a quite fan with any of these, mounted on top of the vent(s) drawing air up and through the amp. The CA-800 runs warm, the other two run plain hot.

And they're cheap. Like $300 - $500 for an audiophile grade amp cheap.

When you find one it's likely to be blown because Yamaha stupidly put the class A/AB switch on the front where you can flip it while it's on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Low Power Solid State Power Amp for Avantgarde - Lee of Omaha 10:52:12 04/23/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.