Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Just acquired tube monoblocks. Now my speakers are suddenly out-of-phase.

I just acquired a pair of tube monoblock amps and connected it to my Spatial speakers. From the first notes, it was clear that the speakers were out of phase, i.e. no center image; it was as if each speaker was playing a mono recording. My ears felt a very odd sensation (and pressure and discomfort).

First, I made sure all the connections were correct. Next, I tried the phase inversion switch on my preamp. Then I reversed polarity on the amps' speaker taps. Nothing worked. Finally, after much frustration, I tried reversing polarity on just the left amp speaker taps, and voila, it worked. (I haven't tried reversing only the right amp yet.)

What could cause this? Is something reversed within the amp itself? If so, that doesn't explain why the previous owner didn't experience the same problem. Using the same source, preamp, cables and speakers, none of my other amps cause this problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Just acquired tube monoblocks. Now my speakers are suddenly out-of-phase. - givemevinyl 20:07:56 04/19/15 (13)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.