Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: newb here first post. getting back into hifi need some a dice on power/impedance

The ML 12s that you have are listed on Logan's site as a 4 ohm nominal load and 92db efficiency. I did not see any test results of that load rating to know how much lower than 4 ohms they may go. My own experiences with Thiel CS3.6 and many other 4 ohm rated speakers is that they will and do often dip below 4 ohms and that becomes the Achilles heel of many amps. Unstable below 4 ohms leads to possible amp or speaker damage in some cases.

My opinion and many others is this: To much clean power is far less dangerous than to little power. Clean power in reserve covers the dynamic swings and keeps the amp out of the "clipping" range. Clipping will destroy speakers and can hurt the amp as well. That said, I like they way your thinking with the Emotiva monos or stereo amps. They spec out pretty strongly at 8 and 4 ohms with almost double the power into 4 ohms. (a good sign)

Mono block amps are a blast to have for many reasons (I had many) but keep in mind the need for two outlets (1 duplex) dedicated to the amps alone! You're not going to plug big monos into a power strip and get the maximum from them unless you have a non-limiting power distribution system. Then there's all the other stuff you have looking for outlets. See, monos are fun but come with criteria. The XPA-2 on the other hand needs just one wall socket and the rest of the gear can run off a distribution network.

92db doesn't scream the need for massive power to play fairly loud but your own playback habits determine the need for headroom. If you like it dynamic and live then yes, you need a substantial amount of power and both of your examples would suffice short of a rock concert in your room. Your speakers don't appear to me that concert levels are your goal but rather good sound. Maybe loud at times but not AC/DC or The Who live.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.