Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

newb here first post. getting back into hifi need some a dice on power/impedance

First, hello all. Glad to be apart of the community and looking forward to learning and sharing with you all. Secondly, my question is relatively simple. I'm looking into getting an amp for my system. Speakers are Martin Logan motion 12. Rated at 20-300 watts at 4, 6 or 8 ohms. Right now I'm using my old yamaha rx-v2400 but am wanting to get an amp. I want enough power on tap to avoid clipping and to allow for transient spikes as necessary. I am from the day where speakers were just rated at a particular impedance and RMS power was clearly identified. Then I've read that as long as the impedance is matched I should overpower by 2.5 times the RMS of the speakers? I guess my speakers are rated at 150 RMS? So 375 is good? Could they handle more? I've seen some guys throwing triple and even quadruple the power at their speakers. It's been a while and I'm just confused. Any info would be warmly welcomed!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - newb here first post. getting back into hifi need some a dice on power/impedance - bonzobasher 22:32:53 04/17/15 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.