Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

You can make it work

But you want to keep in mind that balanced and unbalanced systems are not considered compatible. What this means is you have to jump through some hoops.

If the preamp has single-ended outputs you could use those. But the whole point of the balanced line system is to eliminate cable artifact so essentially you are defeating that ability in the preamp. It is better if you can run balanced right to the amp.

The problem is that you can't always make that final connection. One way around it is to use a transformer that converts from balanced to single ended. Transformers are very good at the conversion but often impose some artifact of their own although it may well be less than that of the cable. Some of the best made in the US are made by Jensen.

Another possibility is to get the amplifier modified, as all amplifiers have the ability to process a balanced signal even if they are entirely single-ended. The technique is simple and does not change the character of the amp. If the manufacturer argues with you on this, have them contact me and I will tell them how to do it. Other than shipping, this method is much cheaper than using transformers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.