Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Focal 836v, room size and a yamaha M4 question

Greetings All,

I have a yamaha M-4 that has functioned very well for 7 years I've owned it. It has had a fairly polite life with me powering KLH 5s and DIY GR Research AV2 in small to medium rooms. I recently stumbled upon a pair of Focal 836V and pulled the trigger. I should get them next week. They are a lot of speaker with 5 drivers, 3 ports and a tweeter. Also I recently moved into a new house with an open floor plan (i.e.) bedrooms and the rest is open space.) It is hard to really describe but I have at least 700 sq feet of open space if not more depending on how you count the kitchen that has a walkway into it and a breakfast bar. So conservatively 700 sq feet and liberally 1200 sq feet. Although, and I don't know if this matters, the room is rectangular and not square. The speakers and listening area face the narrower side of the rectangle and are closer to one wall than the other, much closer. The speakers are rated 92 db sensitivity and 8 ohms. The M-4 is 120 watts at 8 ohms. The proof will be in the pudding of course but does anyone have an opinion regarding the M4 being up to the challenge of powering these speakers?

It is not too late for me to change the order and get the smaller 826V. It is not too late to change the order to the 826V.

I posted his on the speaker forum so sorry for the double post

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nate
You can't cheat an honest man, never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump -- W.C. Fields

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Focal 836v, room size and a yamaha M4 question - texanater 08:11:32 04/09/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.