Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Denton 80th Ann

I have a pair of these with a Peachtree Decco65 for a bedroom that we're "converting" to a library. I think the speakers do very well with acoustic instruments. So far, they seem to really shine with jazz. For example, I prefer the Decco/Dentons to my main system for jazz cds and I just love my main system. I'm still getting to "know" these speakers. At Music Direct's closeout price, they're worth trying. (That's where I got mine after the first price drop. I'm still a little annoyed because I asked about further price drops and they insisted there wouldn't be anymore. I didn't really believe it then, so that's on me, I guess. Plus, I had to address that fear that they wouldn't be available much longer. I'm a sucker for ltd ed, anni ed., etc.) They're well-made and have a decidedly vintage look which I really like. They're not "furniture grade" cabinets like my Soliloquy 5.0i speakers. The cabinets seem to be a nod to the famous BBC monitors I've read about but never heard. The mid-range is both detailed and "warm". They play perfectly loud and "strain-free" for regular listening. But, they reach their limits just above my regular listening levels. More power than what I'm giving them might be needed for parties (see below).

The Decco65 probably wouldn't have enough power for the Dentons in a larger room but the Decco's built-in dac is impressive. I'm using an optical connection with an old D-series Cambridge Audio cdp. The Cambridge has a BNC connector for coax out. I need to learn a little more about it so I'll know what to look for in a cable. (Yeah, my next step for this system is going computer-based using the usb connection. Not sure when that's going to happen.)

Also, I intend to try the Decco with my Acurus 100wpc power amp which has no permanent home at the moment. Maybe more power will make the Dentons great "all-around" speakers. This may not read like a glowing review, but I did say that, "I prefer the Decco/Dentons to my main system for jazz cds and I just love my main system." I just don't have many jazz cds.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Denton 80th Ann - dean_martin 14:05:09 04/08/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.