Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Thanks for the info

Looking at photos of the 21 /23 the LAYOUT is the same. Both use bipolar or JFETS in certain applications and both have similar headroom specifications from the RMS rating. NEITHER actually DOUBLE from 8ohms to 4ohms. Board layout, at least that part I can see in commercially available photos is VERY similar, if not identical.
So, based on this and an exchange of notes with Richard Schram, my conclusion is that while the '23 was NOT a 'clean sheet' design, neither was it the product of JC. 'Cousin' or perhaps 'close relative' may be appropriate.
It is reasonably possible that the '23 is a scaled down '21? Some consessions might have been made in the interest of costs. I simply do NOT know.
The Integrated? Sort of between the '21 and '23 in power, it also uses the same topology and order of device use.

I rather suspect that you could NOT reliably tell the difference between these amps when run in level matched comparisons AND below clipping levels.

My PAIR of the '23s with ONE EACH per Magnepan as BIAMP is wonderful. And NO, I didn't even for an INSTANT consider any bridging situation.

The PREAMP section of the integrated would appear to be PURE P5.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.