Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Transparent Pre amps?

Hello everyone,

It seems I've been incorrect in thinking audiophile meant only that you have nice equipment. It seems there's more to it than that. Back in the day when my dad spent thousands of dollars on a system (Carver CT-17, TFM-25, fancy vacuum tube CD player and tape deck, Kef towers and eventually that crazy little Sunfire dual 10" sub followed by more Kef, more Carver amps, B&K Ref 20 followed by a Ref 30. I always noticed everything was set flat for tone controls and wandered why all his music sounded like it had no heart untill movies brought that sub to life. With a little reluctance when I was grown, I was allowed to "borrow" the CT-17 and liberate it from my parents house. I went on to build a kind of vintage system of my own(his pre-amp, Carver M-200t and Paradigm 5se mk1. I loved my little system. Dynamically I think it put those Kef's to shame. Treble always set 66-75%, midrange a smidge less than 50% and the base 75%. Loudness never used but SonicHolography always on. I made one mention of leaving the with the wife and our little boy on the way and I was made to trade for the B&K Ref 20. I think yay, newer older tech. I set it all up at home and not one mention of tonal control in the manual. I call the support number only to find out that there isn't any. The guy on the phone tells me that most hi end pre amp/receivers don't come with that option, it's supposed to be supposed to be tranparent. You hear it as the artist/ engineer/ producer intended. I love bass (not excessive, but I wanna hear it all. I cut a sub cabinet on my CNC at work, painted it gloss black, tuned it 22hz and threw in my beloved 12" Eclipse (TC9) powered by a Crown pro audio amp. I would just prefer to hear my music the way I want to, not necessarilly the way someone else forces me to. Who makes something that sold for that high a price that you cannot truly make your own? Is this what it is to be an audiophile? Help me to understand.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Transparent Pre amps? - SkippyG22@yahoo.com 14:17:45 03/30/15 (15)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.