Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Audio VS Computers

It is fun considering the price to performance ratios of audio gear to computers, TVs and computing equipment.

Back in the day, we spent $1,500.00 on a Xerox 4020 inkjet printer, which was really about the only decent color inkjet printer on the market at the time. Its heads clogged, its colors, while saturated, were wildly unlike what was on our color monitors and it only took 8-10 inch wide paper. Nowadays, any $100.00 inkjet printer would run rings around it for color accuracy, ease and low cost of use, reliability, larger paper capacity and so on. Check EPSON's pro printer web offerings and see what $1,500. will get you today!

I pay less and less each time for larger screen, more feature-laden LCD TVs. My first 42-inch was over $1,000. Just bought a spectacular 60-inch for under $900.00 with many more features.

I paid over $2,000 for my first personal computer with 512KB of memory, a very slow processor by today's standards, no HD, no modem, etc. My most recent macMini, under $800.00, is, well, I don't need to detail its speed, HD capacity, memory, multimedia and internet capabilities and so on. One has to look some way nowadays to FIND a personal computer that costs over $2,000.

In audio, new versions of most anything seem to double or triple in price with each new version with fairly undramatic increases in performance. It sometimes seems hard to justify the price-to-performance ratio in contemporary audio.

George

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Audio VS Computers - George S. Roland 09:29:03 03/08/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.