Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Prices-Dang

This is not a rant or complaint. It was eye opening. I just hadn't watched closely. I was an NAD dealer up until 2004 when I left to stay out here in the woods and avoid driving to the DC area anymore.

Back then the NAD C370 was their big integrated amp, 120 WPC for $699.00. Today the C375BEE which seems most similar in the line is 150 WPC (oddly at 4 or 8 ohms so not much of a power supply also same as the 370 ) and still has no phono section like the 370. Dynamic power numbers are similarly higher than the RMS power on both. Both have remotes. The C370 replaced the 317 and had more power yet cost less ($699 vs $749)

Now I know the C375BEE is different has better binding posts and an IEC to make power cord change easy. I have no doubt it probably sounds better too. I just don't understand why it is $1499.00. In the last many years product improvements happen and we get a little more for our money. Sure this is a generalization but it all still seems odd to me that it is more than double of what was being sold about 10 years ago.

I'm sure there are owners and defenders that will disagree, I just don't see the justification. Not a big deal, I don't need an amp, this is just an observation. I'm a Grado dealer and a few other companies too and their stuff hasn't increased anywhere near as much. NAD is made in China too, I thought that would impact pricing favorably but no. Oh well.

I'm not sure if I've seen other mid-fi solid state increase as much. Just as I was leaving in 2004 the first BE amps were coming out and I didn't consider them much different in sound.

E
T

ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

Edits: 03/07/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Prices-Dang - Awe-d-o-file 04:47:16 03/07/15 (38)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.