Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: REVIEW: Parasound P5 Preamplifier (SS)

Just a quick reply.
I'm off to the Home Despot for a few 'project' items.

First, the A23, like its bigger brother, the A21 is NOT rated for 4 ohm bridged operation. It might do it, but I won't be the one to run that test. Especially at higher levels.

I DO run one amp per speaker. One channel to the bass part of the panel, the OTHER channel to the mid/tweet. Jumpers are GONE but not forgotten.

And since I low-cut the bass part of the panel at about 60hz or so, i save enough amp power to bump the 50:50 power point to about the 600hz crossover of the panel.

I'm NOT about to 'spllit' the amps and run bass thru one amp and the mid/tweet thru the OTHER. I'd need 2 more runs of speaker wire in that case. Maybe replace what I now use with 12ga Belden from BJC? I'd need just OVER a total of 30 FEET. With one amp behind each speaker I make do with 2x4 foot runs at each speaker. And have plenty of lee-way.

The ULTIMATE GOAL is a passive line level crossover between pre and main amp. BOOM! End of any power problems since that configuration would net me as much as 3db and exceed the power of a SINGLE A21.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.