Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

One Of My All-Time Worst

As everyone who follows me knows, my first "expensive" audio product was the $1200 (in 1991) Muse Model 100. What a disappointment this turned out to be.

First of all, it needed a cheater plug on its fixed powercord. Otherwise, it sent a LOUD 60hZ hum through my speakers. Even powerline conditioners from the likes of Adcom, API, PAC, Tice, and Vans Evers could not, on their own, solve the Model 100's ground loop hum.

The heatsink fins were sharp. They sliced many a wrist and forearm.

My unit did not have any feet. Therefore, I was forced to buy after-market footers - another added expense.

For a solid state amp, the Muse Model 100 ran hot, which required ventilation space.

The Model 100 had this cheesy red power switch, which glowed red when on.

When I got the Muse Model 100 converted to "balanced" XLR, it was configured with pin-3 positive, opposite of most other balanced gear.

Sonically, the Muse Model 100 sucked. Even with the finest upstream components and cables, the Model 100 lacked transparency. Others blamed the "MOSFET mist," but there was a distinct fuzzing up of images.

As I and my guests lost interest in the music (because the Muse Model 100 threw away the sources' information and resolution), we pressed STOP, and then furrowed our brows. Guess what? When everything else was silent, the stupid Muse Model 100's transformer hummed/made a buzzing noise.

The sucky Muse Model 100 inspired, or gave me incentive, to write audio reviews. Unlike others, I actually do cover the all-important topics of heat, ergonomics, aesthetics, features, specs, and compatibility.

The Audiophiles' DJ,
-Lummy The Loch Monster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.