Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Used options

If you're not in a hurry to buy now, wait for a used Hegel H200. They do show up on the used market, albeit infrequently. The H200 is a traditional integrated with no DAC.

Another used amp to consider is the Simaudio i-7. And if you don't listen really loud (i.e. >85db average levels), then the Simaudio i5.3 might be an option too. I have an older Sim i-5 LE which is the immediate predecessor to the i5.3 and it's a great amp for PRAT and soundstaging. And it's a little warmer and more musical than Simaudio's current Evolution series integrated amps.

I have owned or auditioned a lot of British integrateds over the last 10-15 years and the only ones I've heard with good PRAT are Naim and Roksan. Creek, Rega, LFD, Exposure, and Musical Fidelity are too smooth for me and they almost seem to slow the music down. Arcam FMJ wasn't like this, but it was kind of cold sounding.

The Naim Supernait 2 that was mentioned above is a fun listen. I tried it with my current speakers. I think it could power your speakers as long as you don't listen super loud. Soundstaging/imaging is better than previous Naim that I've heard. My only complaints were some grit in the treble and just average transparency. Great amp for rock though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Used options - Dave_K 04:47:05 02/25/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.