Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Parasounnd P 5 Biamping with 4 Channel Amp

Yes, and here's what and WHY I did what I did.

First I select the hi-pass crossover to ON and delete below 50 or 60 hz FROM the main speakers.
Sub out is run full range and I use the subs 24db/octave crossover at 40 to 45hz which should yield a resonably flat response THRU the crossover region without the muddiness I had with the mains running full range.

Now, Each RCA output runs to ONE side of EACH stereo amp behind each of my MG1.6 speakers.
I use PARASOUND A23 amps which have an RCA Loop out so all I do is go from the ACTIVE channel to the other channel and wire to the speakers accordingly. I bought a pair of 18" LC1 cables from Blue Jeans.

To use the XLR would require a splitter. The amps are NOT true balanced so that might be a problem, anyway. Longer range plans include a Line Level crossover and delete the loop out function.

Both channels of the Parasound amps, AND the A21, too, include LEVEL controls which are apparently ordinary carbon pots. ME? I'd settle on a level and replace 'em with a PAIR of fixed resistors. IF I found the gain too high, I'd go something like 80k / 20K or maybe 70k / 30k and call it quits. In writing to Richard Schramm, He advised that there was no room for my plan 'a' which was a switched precision resistor net.

My LAST amp choice was a PSAudio GCC250 which I found long-term unsatisfactory. I think it had everything to do with those pesky Zobels. Same modules as your W4S, with the possible exception of some input section mods. The PSAudio used ASP modules from B&O.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.