Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tube Amp for Sale

Even back then the techs mostly hated them. Seemed like a blessing for repairs but companies did production engineering so they were far more work and lifting traces was so easy. Calibrated low voltage, low wattage soldering irons were not around. A few companies eventually said to unsoldered and send back the offending board and install a replacement and the company would return and them to use. As this started, it seemed the writing was on the wall for many repair companies.

Bad with tube amps? I think it depends on the design, air flow and board material. I have seen some.vintage pcb tube amps with no issues and others like the Dynas that the phenolic boards look look like fried potatoes chips after only a couple of years. Motorola used excellent glass boards from the beginning that were the best I saw for a long time. Their failing was being double sided and it was tricky and time consuming to desolder anything. For those with little patience the boards could be destroyed in minutes.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tube Amp for Sale - Brian Levy 07:19:31 01/31/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.