Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Sanders Magtech Amp and Tube Pre

I have no experience with Magtech amps (although they're located just 45 minutes from my home) but I've had the Placette and the Cary SLP-05 driving other solid-state amps. Both are excellent in different ways.

Cary SLP-05: Warm, smooth, robust and full-bodied, outstanding bass, great dynamics and frequency extension, without being veiled or soft like some tube preamps.

I had the Cary driving my Pass Labs X150.5 stereo amp into a pair of Tannoy speakers. This was several years ago.

I also had a few other tube linestages like the ARC LS-25MkII, LS-16, LS-16MkII, Aesthetix Calypso, and older CJ like the PV-14L, PV-12L, LS-17. I thought the CJ were a little soft for my liking but these are older CJ.

The Cary was the best sounding tube linestage I ever owned. The ARC were good but almost polar opposite sonically compared to the Cary. The Aesthetix was in between. By that I mean it was warmer and more full-boided compared to any of the ARC but not as rich or dynamic as the Cary.

The other Cary that comes close to the SLP-05 would be the SLP-98 or SLP-98L for less money. The downside is that Cary preamps have a very basic remote control for Volume Up/Down & Mute. That's it. The Aesthethix is very versatile like the ARC but warmer.

I'm sure there are other good tube preamps that meet your needs but my experience is with the ones listed above.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Sanders Magtech Amp and Tube Pre - AbeCollins 08:48:06 01/30/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.