Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Conrad Johnson CT-5 w/3.7i's

Thanks Jeff

Mine are an upgrade pair of 3.7's to the i's...worth every penny...it takes a great speaker to the next level...

Sounds like you will not have to go through the break-in stuff, so that is cool...

The Magtech is the enteral flame...never shuts off...except when I leave town or big thunder boomers roll in...in talking to Roger Sanders, he said his "shop" got a direct lighting strike and it fried his computers and allot of his testing equipment but never touched his amps and preamps...I was going to buy a BrickWall surge protector, but he told me not to waste my money and plug it directly into the wall...

CJ came out with the ACT, CT-5 and the CT-6 in and around 2007...it was the first time they used the 6N30P's as a platform...many of the hardcore CJ guys did NOT like these offerings for all the above reasons I stated...

There new offerings, the GAT, ET-5 and ET-3SE are all back to the 6922's...I have not heard any of these offerings, but the CJ fan boys are much happier...

All the CJ's have a soft start feature...they preheat the tubes for 53 seconds before you can operate the remote...(it sounds stupid, but those are the longest 53 seconds)...CJ's are susceptible to static electricity issues, when it gets really cold and dry during our MN winters, so I always ground myself before I shut them off...(I have a post on this board asking and talking about that somewhere)...the static issue is something I am willing to live with...

Over on the Planar board there are about 7-10 Magtech owners that post and out of those, about 4-6 using them with 3.7's...Audiophalnder is a guy I recommended the Magtech too...with his 3.7's...(I always get nervous when I recommend something to someone...what if they do not like it??? In our extremely subjective hobby), but needless to say, he sang my praises when he got it...IHMO it is sooooo much better than the Brystons...which is a Maggie go to amp, as you know...Quite a few guys use Pass amps with their Maggies, I personally have not heard that combo...a new amp is not on my radar at all...quite content with the Magtech...

Thanks again...get a hold of my anytime offline if you like...
take care
Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Conrad Johnson CT-5 w/3.7i's - Mark Man 14:15:00 01/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.