Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Questions about balanced and unbalanced interconnects

A fully balanced amplifier would be equivalent to a stereo amplifier that is bridged to mono. You connect a speaker to the two hot (red) output terminals so that each speaker wire contains an audio signal. An unbalanced amplifier has a signal on the hot (red) terminal only while the other is ground. Consequently, if you are providing a signal to only one speaker terminal of each channel on a fully balanced amplifier, the maximum power it can produce is only one-forth of its rated power.

If your ARC VT130SE is fully balanced, it will have an in-phase signal on the positive speaker terminal and a 180-degree out-of-phase signal on the negative speaker terminal. If it has only one audio signal on the positive speaker terminal with ground on the negative terminal, it is not what I consider to be fully balanced.

For example, I own a Parasound Halo A21 amplifier. It has both balanced and unbalanced inputs, but its speaker terminals have the audio signal on the positive (red) terminal only, so it's not what I consider to be fully balanced from input to output.

> My question is: does the CD --> pre-amp RCA-->XLR connection have any adverse effect?

That would depend on whether or not your preamp is fully balanced. A fully balanced preamp never combines the two signal legs of a balanced input. In other words, a fully balanced preamp has four discrete signal paths from input to output -- two for each audio channel. If your preamp is fully balanced and your amplifier is also fully balanced, then you will be able to extract only one-fourth of your amplifier's rated power when playing your CD player. If, on the other hand, your preamplifier combines its balanced input signals into a single path for each channel and then splits them into balanced signals again at its outputs, you are in good shape.

Best regards,
John Elison

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.