Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

AV Noob; newer audiophile - PreAmp purchase help

It is a little hard to pick a forum, but I am attempting to do my best... I apologize for the length of this post...

I was born in the 70s, so I can't say I've a lifetime of listening to high-grade equipment, nor do I have a good grasp on feedback equalization filtering. I have a JVC system that I have been happy-enough with in terms of listening, and built a center channel speaker to compensate for some pressure levels using some component drivers no longer made (Audax). I've played it loud, and I don't think I've ever really distorted out (at least, not much).

I have recently acquired many LPs, some rarities never digitally remastered, and have purchased a Technics SL-1210 MK5. For better or worse, this is my turntable for the foreseeable future (whether others would consider it a reference turntable is another matter). For the turntable it is my plan to a) purchase a Ortofon Bronze or Black cartridge, and maybe purchase b) something on the manner of a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS (although please don't believe I am a tube snob... or that I am committed to this particular purchase, or tube components in general).

The AV equipment I own has been acquired slowly and methodically, and today is a little behind the AV curve (no Blu-Ray, but I have an impressive D-Theater D-VHS collection). The relevance in mentioning this is that I make efforts to purchase the best that I can... to last me the longest haul possible.

My plan is to purchase some manner of integrated Pre-amp (2-channel x2); I very much would like to have RIAA equalization, and inputs for cassette (a must), phono (a must), tuner (my sangean has analogue and digital output), and an auxiliary. Truly, I have no plan to purchase a moving coil cartridge for my TT, but I would like to still have an option. Were I to have a specialized phono preamp (like the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS) will that allow me to then send the signal on and into a non-specific phono input? Should I be looking for a preamp with non-specialized inputs?

I own a Marantz SD 525 cassette, so I have been considering a newer(ish) Marantz preamplifer to complement that cassette. But if a Marantz - which one? I don't believe I have money to invest in a proper tube amplifier, so it would be my goal to get the best Solid State integrated preamplifer possible at or around $1000, but all of these purchases will be staggered over the next year.

In my home AV stereo I integrate a JVC RX-D702B, an HM-DT100U (the only HD VCR with an onboard ATSC tuner), an XV-FA95GD 7-DVD/Disc Carousel, the cassette tape deck mentioned above, an older PHD 205 tuner box (for bringing in some very obscure non-ATSC compliant TV stations), and a Sangean HDT-1X radio tuner. All of the JVC components integrate nicely via their Compu-Link system.

There is a host of non-sequitur information out there regarding how digital performance is "so much better" on a given Marantz/McIntosh (other) CD player, or other, but none of this makes any logical sense to me (digital is digital), so help me if you can. Those same arguments were also made regarding VCRs, except that JVC owned proprietary rights to VHS, and I know that despite its shortcomings... my DT-100U VHS deck is among the best digital decks ever made (if not the best... despite all the plastic).

My plan would be to get a speaker output switch for my main speaker towers (BP6, Definitive Technology... please don't laugh at me), so I can switch them between my RX-D702B for AV viewing, and then over to my reference preamp for listening to music. (FYI, I use 2 pairs of Acoustic Research Edge bookshelf speakers to complete out my surround sound assembly... and when they are integrated with the Definitive towers, it is pretty cool - although not reference).

I have discrete analogue outputs on my CD player, so I could simply use that method for translating the analogue sound on to my new (hypothetical) preamp... or I could purchase a new DAC translation unit... if there is any benefit (is there any benefit?).

So.... I know that is a lot of information, but again...

1) What 2 channel x2, integrated preamp might I consider ... and is there a good (more modern) Marantz Option? The modern option should give me multiple inputs (4-5?).
2) Will that preamplifier give me passive RIAA equalization? If not... which one might I look at.
3) If I use a really phono preamp (that will address any future needs of MM and MC) do I really even need a phono input, and if I use a phono input... will a nonspecific phono connect handle a signal that was originally an MC signal (I know, total noob question).
4) Will modern Marantz integrated preamplifiers give me equalization options? I know that the old PM 700 had equalizers for each channel on the front, but I don't know that those preamplifiers will do the same. Some older Marantz units (1060, 1070) had controls for bass, mid, and treble... perhaps that would be enough. I am worried about compensating for my growing chromium O2 jazz/blues-rock cassette tape collection and ways to compensate for dropped highs and lows depending on tape type.
5) Do I even need bother with a separate DAC?

*** Oh yes! It is my plan to also purchase a stellar and customized HTPC, possibly through Assassin, but it will give me the AV options I want to have (youtube), while integrating involved CD formats (SACD, HDCD, DSD (etc.), as well as Blu-Ray (4K, 3D), and others. Owing to the fact that this device should be built (as per my requirements) to have exemplary DAC conversion... this (quiet) device really will be doing the lions' share of digital translation.

*** Ultimately it is my goal to get my whole arsenal organized even better in an aesthetic rack with glass tops I will build(no higher than 4 feet). I will also mount my TT on a wall rack for both sound isolation... and aesthetics.

Of course, I can host images later... but I really need some expert help now. My head is a little maxed. Right now, I just want to play a few Brewer and Shipley albums. :-D

Edits: 01/19/15 01/19/15 01/19/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - AV Noob; newer audiophile - PreAmp purchase help - spudhalvorson 00:21:05 01/19/15 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.