Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Help is on the way...many tube pre choices....

Vintage units with a huge acceptance factor, costing much less, are many. First, remember that most vintage gear benefits greatly from rebuilding/upgrading power supplies and modernizing their coupling caps. I can heartily recommend the 1960s era full function Eico HF-85, Lafayette KT-600, Madison Fielding 340, Pilot SP-210 and some others. The 1970s and 1980s era brought in Audio Research SP-2, SP-3; Paragon E and 12; Precision Fidelity C-4 and C-7 among other candidates...The late 1980s and 1990s welcomed Conrad Johnson PV-2, PV-3, PV-6; Audible Illusions 2 & 3 plus the obscure dual mono Uranus; MFA; Magus; Quicksilver and many more...

Study the periodicals, AA and other online forum archives. Check out the circuitry and try to listen to nearby audio friends' systems that include classic preamps. Discover the different sounding Passive EQ equipped phono stages. Some of them are coveted, like the early stereo Pilot SP-215 and 216. Some more modern units are viable, as well.

Since you mentioned inconsistent results with your initial trial, keep your test discs the same for all relevant listening sessions. Our psychoacoustic memory is not a good one, so beware the "latest is greatest" or "that sounds exciting" syndromes which can confuse. Enjoy the journey...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.