Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Morri, The Big Mac 501 .......

No, that is wrong A. Wayne. I said 90 watts for BOTH monoblocks (.i.e. 45 watts per monoblock). That would put it around max. 8-9 watts Class A but given how cool the rather small heatsinks were I would bet that it was far less and there were some watts consumed for lighting of that huge power meter on the front plus a few watts for the input and driver stages. More like 5 watts or less.

I had a big SimAudio Celeste W4250se (1000 watts into 2 ohms) that was biased about 10 watts Class A (according to their literature), had bigger heat sinks than the McIntosh and ran quite warm...something the Macs do not.

I also had a Sphinx Project 14 MkIII that was biased at about 24 watts Class A (consumed 240 watts at idle) and put out 180 watts into 8 ohms, 360 into 4 and 720 into 2 and it ran really warm.

Now I have an amp that is full on 100 watts Class A and single ended and it runs HOT despite having huge heatsinks.

The Mac is barely biased into Class A, the cool temps and small heat sinks and low idle consumption (my phonostage and DAC each consume about the same or more!) says minimal Class A.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Morri, The Big Mac 501 ....... - morricab 11:45:52 01/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.