Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I Attempted to Obtain the Tortuga LDR...

but there have been delays due to no units in stock, redesign, etc. The manufacturer does not seem very excited to keep the review prospect alive as I have received no updates, even though a new model has appeared. I have at times had to work at keeping contact with manufacturers for up to a year in order to claim a review. The problem then becomes, is the product stale at that point. Once in a while, even after all that time and promises, they won't deliver. That's part of the behind the scenes happenings of reviewing; comes with the territory.
I was working on securing an LRD at the time Taras approached me, and if he hadn't you might be reading an article on an LRD.

I would still be interested in doing a review of the Tortuga, and if it would perform at a level as high or higher than the Liquid Pre I would say so.

Based on what the company says on the website about the sound of the LDR being as good as expensive active preamps, I would be cautious in simply saying it would exceed the Liquid Pre. To my ear the Liquid Pre is easily superior to the fine active preamps I have reviewed. But who can say without comparison?

Based on my experience with discrete opamp rolling it's not a given that products incorporating LED are magic bullets. There is going to be loss in conversion. The question in my mind is, would the benefit of clean transmission of light as conductor outweigh the loss in conversion two times? There is a price to be paid somewhere in the chain; no exceptions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.