Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: People only defend when they are being attacked..."few can tolerate a snob",

"It proves quite completely that not everyone agrees with your "pseudoscience", your opinions, or your tastes, or that you are "right" "

Just because a science is incomplete doesn't make it pseudo science. You can keep repeating that all you want but it doesn't make it so.

The fact that many of the great designers progressively went from more complex high feedback designs to seemingly simpler, low or no feedback designs says that at least they are paying attention...even if the likes of you are not. This has been a clear trend for the last 20 years or so, which coincides nicely with renewed interest in correlating sound quality with design considerations. Your anecdotal evidence is very weak in comparison to this trend and studies over the last 5 decades that have highlighted the issues with amplifier design and sound quality.

That people bought into the hype doesn't mean that it was really better...power of suggestion is strong in advertising as well as appeal to authority (the engineers MUST know what they are doing, right??). People buy into the hype of Class D as well...it sounds different so for a while it probably does sound better to them ...maybe they get a lower electric bill too...and a wife happy that their big monsters are now little shoe boxes or pizza boxes (a wife not nagging about the big hifi COULD result in better sound afterall).

You are right about 1 thing though, there is no accounting for taste. Some people literally like to listen to metallic noise but we can't really take their opinion about gear choices seriously. Despite the fact that the subjects in studies show a strong preference particular sonic patterns of distortion (in a given world where there is no such thing as a truly linear system) it still is not 100% and people buy more often with their eyes and other factors than sound quality. Good Class D would be fine for a budget device...if it were at a budget price. Once it starts playing in the big leagues, pricewise, then there are serious contenders where psycoacoustics have at least been partially addressed.

You would like to convince everyone that it is all subjective but the studies indicate that there is a fairly strong consensus among those tested and it can be at least partially quantified. Your arguments are purely unscientific. Maybe it bothers you that humans have common rather predictable traits and you feel yourself no longer to be in control of your own destiny? You realize, I hope, that psychology is far from a perfect science due to variability humans. You act and comment like you have no clue about science or scientific method.

It is ironic then that you push the Class D option harder than just about anyone else on this forum, your image and moniker say it all. You talk out of both sides of your mouth on this issue...freedom of choice but "Try it, you know you want it"

Just because a guy has experience doesn't mean he learned anything. This I have learned in my 30 years as a developing audiophile. Most guys don't have a clue about what makes good sound and haven't bothered to really try and learn. Maybe that guy has but falling in love with such an amp suggests to me not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.