Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

You'll Have To See If...

...the Mira 3 has enough volume control range. I've had several friends who were interested in small integrated amps for their small or smallish rooms. In many cases, the sound is too loud, even when the volume control is at or near MIN. It's so loud down there, I don't know of any popular music fans, who ever raise the volume control above 9:30 or 10:00.

It's no secret that this is audiophiles' #1 complaint. If you encounter this problem with the Mira 3, then it is simply not usable, and nothing else matters.

Ignore the Stereotypical Audiophiles, who whine that only sound quality matters. Bunk. Before we get to sound quality issues, a product has to work. Moreover, it should look good. Ugliness is a main cause of audiophilia nervosa. The SAs are going to raise a stink and throw a hissy fit. But they aren't the ones spending your money. They aren't the ones who have to live with noisy, hot, ugly, useless audio products.

One audiophile who borrowed my Rega P9 turntable [BTW, the P9 sounded less crappy with the Lyra Titan, versus our Benz Ebony LP and Koetsu Jade Platinum] also wanted to use Rega amplification. I don't recall which Rega models he used, but while they were fine with several phonostages, the line-level inputs were not. He encountered the problem of line-level sources being too LOUD, even when the preamp was at or near MIN.

The Audiophiles' DJ,
-Lummy The Loch Monster

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.