Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Jolida 102B vs Vintage Yamaha

Sounds like the Yamaha need some controls cleaned. I had some problems with my Yamaha amp and it took a really good cleaning to get them up and running.

As you like the Yamaha consider maybe having a competent tech companies through them; maybe time to change out some caps that may have drifted. I have a pair of the CA610IIs. With the tone amp switched out they sound the same but when switched in, there is a subtle difference even when the tone controls switched out. You can bypass the controls or entire tone a circuit making the amp effectively a passive preamp.

As you like the Yamaha, DONOT dispose of them. Try the Jolida and anything else you want but keep the safety unless and until you definitely find better.

FWIW, I found an equivalent ss amp in terms of power and quality generally better than a tube amp on the Fives. The tube amps seemed to either be thin on the bass end with the woofer or lacked the control adversely affecting the definition. Just because a speaker was designed during the tube era, these were designed during the transition period, does not mean the speakers will sound best with tube gear. The ss Sixteen and Twenty-three ss amp and receiver were in production during the period az well as their compacts so the company had a lot of experience with ss amps and likely used one of their designs to voice their speakers.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.