Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Stories from people who have moved from tubes to SS

Sigh!
Used tube stuff from CJ, VTL, and ARC. Sounded great when loaded with decent tubes and updated with fresh caps, etc. Bliss for a few years. I started to get equipment issues a few years later and decided to try solid state.

Sold of most of the tube stuff but did keep a CJ preamp with their Sonographe solid state amp for awhile. After trying in vain to get decent cathode follower tubes that would last in the preamp it was benched also along with the Sonographe. Gotta say this about the tube equipment,buy carefully and you'll get your money back on resale.

Got solid state replacements from Classe. (not their new stuff but the older "DR" series) Well, the soundstage was still there, the smooth treble and sweetness, I felt like I hadn't given up very much at all.

Granted, all this equipment (tube and ss) was from the mid to late 80's, but kept in good repair.

Try getting 2 integrated amps, one from each camp and listen. You'll know which one is right for you. If you have a trusted friend, have him (or her) switch amps while you're out of the room. You might be surprised.

Cheers!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stories from people who have moved from tubes to SS - DustyC 19:07:11 11/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.