Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Neodio

Hearing is believing...and I never thought a SS amp would compare to the tube amps/preamps I've owned over the years, but after doing some research on SS amps used with Merlin speakers (notorious for their affinity to tubes) I stumbled upon the Neodio NR-600 Signature integrated amp, sourced in France. You will not find these often on the market - due to a paucity of dealers in the USA (as in NONE). However, if you do see a used one come up for sale, and you are truly curious to hear a SS amp that sounds like, no make that better, than most tube amps, then I suggest you give it a try. This amp has all the exalted tube attributes of the best modern tube amps, melded with the immediacy and accuracy often associated with Class A SS amps.

If 100 wpc is enough for your speakers, this amp will truly surprise you with its sound quality. I'm using mine with my Merlin VSM-MXe speakers and the latest Audience AU24 SE cables, with digits flowing from my Bel Canto 2.5 DAC via several source components - and even Pandora over my Grace internet tuner sounds palpable - no small feat! The tone is far "warmer" than any SS amp I've experienced, even when fed by a tubed preamp. The air is "there" as are all the spatial cues I used to think only possible from the likes of my BAT integrated amp (with tubed preamp section).

The driver behind this SS goodness may likely emanate from the "memory distortion-free" technology that began with the Lavardin amps. The overall parts quality is also stellar. Not saying that there aren't any tube amps out there that can better it - but if you're looking for a SS amp with tube-like qualities (including fatigue-free listening at all frequencies) you may find the Neodio a great choice. My amp has now been replaced in the Neodio line by the NR800 (also 100 wpc). They also offer a more powerful 150 wpc version, known as the NR1500, with the NR1500 Signature offering a few additional upgrades, such as a constrained layer cover for better isolation. For the foreseeable future, I see no reason to return to tubes - this after 25 years of Conrad Johnson, BAT, Bel Canto, Cary, Unison Research, Rogue, etc. Those were all GREAT amps - and so is the Neodio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Neodio - DKL 18:12:38 11/26/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.