Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I tried...

On a smaller scale, I had the X150 and the X150.5. The X150.5 was more refined and smoother sounding. Coupled to the Cary SLP-05 tube linestage, it was a wonderful sounding setup.... with my Tannoy speakers. I tried with the Thiel CS2.4 and it was slightly under powered. The X250.5 or X350.5 would have been a better match.

However, I too have owned a pair of Manley Neo-Classic 250 amps and they were a match made in heaven with my Thiel speakers (the CS2.4 in my case). As you know, I tried to find a pair of solid-state amps to replace the Neo-Classic 250 and the closest I got were a pair of Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition monoblocks. Very nice sounding amps!

I also tried W4S SX-500 Class D mono blocks which lasted about a month in my system before I sold them. Same for a pair of large Bryston 7BSST2 Class AB amps. These were a couple of the worse amps I've owned right up there with the Krell KSA-2250 in terms of being lean and sterile. The Brytons were smoother than the Krell though. That Krell was harsh!

To make a long story just a little longer... I found that the Rogue Cronus Magnum integrated tube amp does a great job for me especially now that I'm in a smaller listening room.

I tried too.... but I seem to end up favoring tube gear.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.