Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Stories from people who have moved from tubes to SS

I have not owned amps with tubes, except for a pair of Lamm hybrid monoblocks (tubed input stage and mos-fet output stage).
I have however owned a number of pretty good SS amps and find that I appreciate the quiet background, dynamics, and solid bass that the better SS amps offer. The Class A, SS Clayton monoblocks I owned rivaled the Lamm Hybrids in the midrange. My current SMc amp is an excellent sounding amplifier and very musical. I am sure the Pass amps are good, or even great, but there are many other really good amps out there, as others have pointed out.
If you want the simplicity and quiet of SS, but also a midrange with some tube-like warmth/dimensionality/dense tonality qualities, I suggest you consider trying a Class D amplifier using the Ncore NC1200 technology. I can point you in the direction of an in-home audition, if you are interested, or you can research them on your own. There are several manufacturers using this technology, some using the stock SMPS power supply, and others (Theta) who have come up with linear supplies. I think it would be worth a listen for you, if those are in your price range.
Good luck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stories from people who have moved from tubes to SS - mitch2 10:52:24 11/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.